- 2 tbsp's sunflower oil
- 1/2 cup popping corn
- 2 tbsp's honey
- 2 tbsp's golden syrup
- 2/3 cup caster sugar
- 60g butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
When you're at the movies do you often find yourself unable to walk away from the candy bar without buying anything? The promise of a delicious choc top and the scent of the buttery popcorn is too much to handle so you find yourself ordering a small, which then gets bumped up to a large size 'because it's cheaper' but somehow the total still comes to more than your monthly mortgage payments?
Yep, we've all been there. Luckily for you, you can make this scrumptious treat at home without it costing you a small fortune. You're welcome.
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add 2 corn kernels (you know the oil is hot enough when they turn slowly in a circle), if the oil's hot enough, add the remaining corn cover it with a tight-fitting lid.
2. When the corn starts popping, shake the saucepan often to prevent any kernels from burning. Your kernels should all be popped after about 3 - 4 minutes.
3. Transfer the popcorn to a large, heat-proof bowl and discard any unpopped corn.
4. Line a large tray with baking paper and try not to shove handfuls of freshly popped corn into your mouth.
5. Place the honey, syrup, sugar, and butter in a saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring, for about 3 minutes or until the sugar dissolves and then bring it to the boil.
6. Boil the mixture, without stirring, for 4 minutes or until golden. Stir in the salt. Working quickly, pour the mixture over the popcorn and toss it to coat.
7. Spread onto your prepared tray and let it stand for 30 minutes or until they're set. Break them up and serve.
8. Now go and enjoy 'The Incredibles' or 'Sex and The City', maybe even one of the 367 'Fast & Furious' movies, with your delicious snack.