- 1/2 large cauliflower
- 1 1/2 cups self raising flour
- 1 tbsp ground paprika
- 2 tsps ground white pepper
- 2 tsps Masterfoods garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 2 tsps dried oregano
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 eggs
- Vegetable oil, to deep-fry
- 1/2 cup whole-egg mayonnaise
- 2 tsps sriracha chilli sauce
- Micro herbs, to serve
- Lemon wedges, to serve
Perfect as finger food when you're entertaining, as a starter before a meal or as to accompany the main dish, these deep-fried cauliflower bites are sure to be a big hit with the adults and kids alike.
Paired with a spicy & creamy sriracha chilli mayo, you simply can't go wrong, especially when you'll have them on the table in just 30 minutes!
1. Trim the cauliflower and cut it into large florets (you should have about 400g worth of cauliflower florets).
2. Sift the flour, paprika, pepper, garlic powder cayenne and a large pinch of salt onto a large plate. Stir in the oregano. Once you've done that, pour the buttermilk into a shallow dish and whisk the eggs in a separate shallow bowl.
3. Working in batches, place the cauliflower into the buttermilk, turning it over to make sure it's nice and coated. Add the flour mixture and toss it thoroughly so it's coated. Shake off any excess.
4. Then add your floret to the egg mixture, once again turning it to coat it well, drain the excess and then return it to the flour mixture. You know what to do now (turn it to coat well). Transfer it to a plate.
5. Pour enough oil into a large saucepan so it comes halfway up the side and heat it over medium-high heat. Working in batches of about 4-5 pieces, deep-fry the cauliflower for 2 minutes (ish) or until it's golden.
6. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the florets to a paper towel-lined tray to drain any excess oil. Once you've done that, transfer the cauliflower to a serving dish and season it with salt.
7. Combine the mayonnaise and chilli sauce in a small bowl. Sprinkle micro herbs over the fried cauliflower and serve with the mayonnaise mixture. Devour immediately.