Sugar Cookie Dough
- 1½ cup of butter softened
- 2 cups white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 1½ cups pure icing sugar, sifted
- 1 egg white
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- Your choice of gel food colours;
(Americolour and Wilton are the best for royal icing colouring)
- Rainbow or chocolate sprinkles to taste
- Water to consistency
Cream together butter and sugar until smooth and pale. Beat in eggs and vanilla.
Stir in the flour, baking powder, and salt. Cover, and chill dough for at least 1- 2 hours.
Preheat oven to 200 degrees C. Roll out dough on floured surface 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick.
Using one larger and one smaller circular cookie cutter, cut out your doughnut shape and the hole.
Place cookies 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
Bake 6 to 8 minutes in preheated oven until blonde and just turning golden on the edges.
Let your cookies cool completely before icing.
- When your cookies are cooled, lightly whisk egg-white and lemon juice together in a bowl until soft peaks form.
Gradually add icing sugar, whisking until smooth and combined. Adding a few drops of water at a time,
water down your icing- whisking until combined- until your icing resembles the consistency of shampoo.
- Using a piping bag and thin nozzle, trace the shape of your doughnut icing onto your baked cookies.
- Let the outline of the icing area set briefly (5 mins) before filling in the inside with your icing.
- Sprinkle the icing with your chosen sprinkles immediately to allow the sprinkles to set within the icing.
- Let dry for 3-4 hours for the icing to set.
Recipe by Hurricane Snoz Bakes