- 75g (1/2 cup) of plain flour
- 75g (1/2 cup) of self-raising flour
- 100g (1/2 cup, firmly packed) of brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp bicarb soda
- 90g butter, at room temperature
- 60ml (1/4 cup) of milk
- 1/2 cup of cocoa powder
- 2 tbsps of golden syrup
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 2 tsps of vanilla essence
- 95g (1/2 cup) of milk chocolate chip bits
- 160ml (2/3 cups) of thickened cream
- 400g of dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 36 small chocolate Easter eggs
- Chocolate Sprinkles
Despite what's going on in the world at the moment, the Easter bunny's still coming and your children are still going to wake up on Easter Sunday expecting to find all the chocolate eggs he's hidden.
It might seem a little weird to be celebrating at a time like this but keeping your life, and that of your children, as normal as possible sounds like a pretty good idea to us and we know exactly what you'd usually be doing! So get baking!
Not only can your kids help you in the kitchen but these little chocolate chip cupcakes are definite mood boosters (it might have something to do with the sugar in them though). See for yourself.
If you also need an adult mood booster, check out our recipe for Baileys & Cream Easter Egg Cocktails!
1. Heat the oven to 170°C and line a 12 cup muffin pan with paper cases.
2. Sift the combined flour, sugar and bicarb soda into a mixing bowl. Add the butter, milk, golden syrup, cocoa powder, egg and vanilla to this mixture. Use an electric beater to beat until it's pale and creamy.
3. Fold in the chocolate bits and divide the mixture evenly among the prepared pans. Bake them for 25 minutes or until they're firm to the touch. Transfer them to a wire cooling rack.
4. Meanwhile, stir the cream and chocolate in a saucepan over medium-low heat for 5 minutes or until smooth. Transfer this to a bowl and cover it with plastic wrap before placing it in the fridge for 30 minutes or until it's firm enough to spread.
5. Spread the chocolate icing over the top of the cupcakes, form the chocolate sprinkles into a nest shape and fill it with chocolate eggs!