- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp tsp dried oregano
- 2 x 180g packets haloumi
- Vegetable oil, for shallow-frying
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper or if you have a pepper shaker, you can use the pepper out of that
Do you want to serve a side dish, alongside your main meal, that's a little bit different? You don't just want to serve normal chips. You've already cooked some veggies but you can't figure out what else your dinner needs? Well, stop racking your brain because we've just come up with the perfect solution.
Garlic & Lemon Haloumi Chips (yum)!
Fried cheese might not be the healthiest thing in the world but yolo and these super simple and super cheesy chips will be a great hit with kids and adults alike. Perfect as an appetiser or alongside the main meal itself, you'll be dreaming of these savoury snacks long after you've finished eating them!
What are you waiting for?!
1. Before you begin, pat dry the haloumi with paper towel, getting rid of any moisture. Cut the cheesy goodness into roughly 1.5cm strips. Combine the flour, garlic powder and dried oregano in a mixing bowl.
2. Pour enough oil into a large, deep frying pan to come to about 1cm up the side of the pan. Heat over medium heat. Coat the haloumi chips in the flour mixture, shaking off any excess. Cook in batches, turning them over for 2 minutes or until they're nice and golden (try to stop yourself from eating every single one).
3. Transfer them to a paper towel to drain away all the gross, extra oil (no one needs that). Combine the fresh oregano, lemon zest and pepper in a bowl.
4. Place the haloumi chips on a serving plate and sprinkle with the pepper mixture.
5. Devour them, you've been so patient. You've earnt this.