- 250g packet of gluten-free spiral pasta
- 350g of brocoli, cut into small florets
- 50g of butter
- 1 small brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tbsps of gluten-free plain flour
- 1 1/2 cups of milk
- 3/4 cups of finely grated parmesan
- 1 tsp of dijon mustard
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Pinch of ground white pepper
- 1 1/2 cups of grated cheddar
- 1 cup of frozen peas
- 125g of cherry tomatoes, halved
We can almost hear the squeals of excitement when you announce to your family that they're having mac & cheese for dinner, followed by the groans of disgust when you say it has veggies in it.
However, this mac & cheese is super yummy (we can guarantee it) and we can (almost) promise that your kids won't taste the veggies when they're covered in cheese and creamy sauce.
So go on, give this faithful dish a gluten-free, veggie makeover!
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C before cooking the pasta in a large saucepan of boiling salted water, following all the packet instructions, until the pasta's just the right amount of tender. Add the broccoli for the last 2 minutes of cooking and then drain the mixture whilst rinsing it under cold water.
2. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and onion and cook this, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until it's softened. Add in the flour and stir until combined.
3. Gradually add the milk, whisking constantly until the mixture is nice and smooth. Cook this, again stirring occasionally, for 3 to 5 minutes or until it's thickened. Add the parmesan, mustard, nutmeg, pepper and 1 cup of cheddar and stir the mixture until it's smooth and well combined. Season this with salt.
4. Add the pasta mixture and peas to the cheese sauce and stir to combine. Spoon the mixture into an oven-proof baking dish and top it with cherry tomatoes. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
5. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden and bubbling (yum), then let it stand for 5 minutes before serving.
6. Dig in immediately!