It is common knowledge that apricots and chicken go together like two peas in a pod. There is something exotic about the mix of sweet and sour taste explosion that comes from combining the two. This is one of our favourite super quick, throw together meals. It freezes and re-heats well too, handy for those nights where you can’t be bothered cooking but still want something nourishing.
- 8 large chicken thighs or 1 x 3lb (1.35kg) chicken, jointed into 8 pieces, skinned
- 1 tbsp olive oil1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Pinch dried chilli flakes
- 1 x 400g (14oz) tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp runny honey
- Large pinch saffron
- 300ml (1/2 pt) hot chicken stock
- 2 strips orange peel
- 100g (4oz) dried apricots
- 25g (1oz) flaked almonds, toasted
- 2 tbsp rosemary or coriander, roughly chopped
- Heat the olive oil in a large casserole or saucepan that will hold all the chicken.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes on a medium heat until soft.
- Add the cumin, ginger, cinnamon and chilli flakes and cook for another minute until fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes and honey. Stir well.
- Crumble the saffron into the chicken stock and add to the pan along with the orange peel.
- Bring everything to the boil and season with salt and a little pepper.
- Add the chicken pieces and apricots to the sauce, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook, partially covered for 35-40 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Sprinkle the chopped rosemary or coriander and almonds over the top and serve with couscous.