- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 500g of extra lean beef mince
- 3 tsps of Mexican seasoning mix
- 2 tsps of ground cumin
- 115g (1/2 cup) of red lentils
- 400g of diced tomatoes
- 120g of chagrilled, capsicum strips, drained
- 400g can of black beans or kidney beans, rinsed & drained
- 1/2 cup of chopped fresh coriander
- 2 long fresh green chillis, sliced
- Natural yoghurt, to serve
If you're looking for a recipe you can make on a weeknight in under an hour then you just found it! Packed with veggies, this healthy chilli con carne will not only warm up your family but have them coming back for seconds (and possibly thirds)!
Perfect for adding a little spice into your life, this Mexican classic will get your blood pumping and your tastebuds jumping! Bound to be a hit with the whole family, this dish is ready in just 3 steps and is guaranteed to become a firm favourite.
1. Heat the oil in a large, heavy-based pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and celery into the pan, cooking and stirring it for 1-2 minutes, then add the mince and cook that, breaking up any large pieces with a wooden spoon. Cook the mince for 4 minutes before adding the spice mix, cumin and other seasonings.
2. Stir in the lentils and tomato before adding 375ml (1 1/2 cups) of water and bring the mixture to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for about 20 minutes or until the lentils are cooked and the mixture has thickened.
3. Stir through the capsicum and beans, cooking them for 1-2 minutes. Then stir through half of the coriander and half of the chilli before dividing the chilli among your serving bowls. Now it's time to enjoy all your hard work! Scatter the bowls with the remaining coriander and chilli if you wish and serve with yoghurt if you want to. Eat up!