It's still hard to get out of bed in the morning. You can still see your breath when you breathe as you step outside. Frost still settles on your car windows and front lawn overnight. Yep, Winter's still in full swing.
Don't worry though, it's not all bad news. There are ways to warm you up and one of them is by packing a nice, warm homemade lunch to take with you when you leave the house. Another way is by taking a nice, warm homemade beverage with you to accompany your lunch, and Thermos have both the stainless steel food flasks and double wall insulated jars that are perfect for both.
Built from high-quality stainless steel, the thermos comes in a range of colours and sizes. Rest assured your food or beverage will stay the right temperature until you're ready for it with its vacuum insulated design, made for keeping its contents hot for 14 hours and cold for up to 24 hours.
We've got a couple of quick and easy thermos recipes that you can use for breakfast or lunch ideas, that will not only have you excited to eat, but also have you looking at the clock every 10 minutes wondering if it's time to dig in yet.
Whether it's breakfast on the go, a work/school lunch, or a hot drink to keep you warm, check out our recipes below for tasty options you can pack in your Thermos food flask or drink bottle.
Homemade Apple-Cinnamon Porridge
Prep time: 5 min
Cooking time: 5 min
- 1/3 cup instant oats
- 1/4 cup dried apples, chopped
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch salt
- 1 cup boiling water, or milk depending on taste
1. Combine dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
2. Add the milk or water and stir to combine.
3. Sprinkle some dried apples and cinnamon and pop it into your thermos.
Sweet and Sour Turkey Meatballs on Rice
Prep time: 15 min
Cooking time: 25 min
- 2 cups long-grain rice, or jasmine rice
- 2 tsp canola oil
- 3 cups finely chopped pineapple
- 1 600ml bottle of passata (tomato puree)
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 tsp onion salt
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp Worchestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 500g ground turkey
- 1/4 cup Italian-style bread crumbs
- 1 spring onion, finely chopped
1. To learn how to make the fluffiest rice, click here.
2. Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add 2 cups of pineapple and cook until they're browned which should be about 10 mins.
3. Transfer to a food processor and combine the passata, tomato paste, onion and garlic salt, Worchestershire sauce and 1/4 tsp salt until the mixture is smooth.
4. Return sauce to the pot.
5. Season to taste (pepper) and set over a low-medium heat. Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally for 5 mins.
6. Combine the turkey with the bread crumbs and the remaining 1/4 tsp salt. Get your hands dirty and mix the turkey and bread crumbs together until they're combined.
7. Roll into fun little bite-sized balls and gently drop them into the sauce. Stir in remaining cup of pineapple, letting it simmer, partially covered this time until the meatballs are cooked through.
8. Put the rice in your thermos first and place the meatballs on top. Sprinkle some chopped spring onion and you're ready to go!
Chicken and Vegetable Noodle Soup
Prep time: 10 min
Cooking time: 15 min
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, chopped
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 celery, chopped
- 1 tsp garlic, chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups cooked chicken, diced
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp parsley, chopped
1. Heat olive oil in a pot over medium heat. Add the carrot, onion, celery and sauté for approximately 4 min, or until vegetables are beginning to soften.
2. Add the garlic and sauté for a minute longer.
3. Add the chicken stock and bring to the boil. Add the diced, cooked chicken and the egg noodles and let it simmer for 5 min. Be sure to simmer until the pasta is fully cooked.
4. Pour the soup into your thermos, sprinkling the parsley on top.
Mac 'n' Cheese
An insane cheesy sauce, perfectly cooked macaroni and a golden, buttery topping. We say YES PLEASE. Master this creamy and crunchy classic and pop it into your Thermos to enjoy later.
Prep time: 10 min
- 400g macaroni
- 59g butter
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 2 cups or 500ml milk
- 2 cups or 250g grated cheese, gruyere, tasty, vintage (your preference)
- Chopped parsley, to serve
1. Cook the macaroni in a large pan of boiling water according to packet instructions until cooked perfectly (or you could always try throwing it at the wall).
2. While that's cooking, melt the butter in a medium saucepan and add the flour. Cook and stirring for 1 minute over a medium-low heat.
3. Gradually add the milk, stirring until smooth. Stir gently until the mixture comes just to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer for exactly 2 minutes. Remove from the heat, add the grated cheese and stir until melted smooth.
4. Drain the pasta, and return to the pan. Pour the cheese sauce over the pasta and stir until well coated. Season with salt or pepper to taste.
5. Pop it into your thermos and pack some parsley to season when you're ready to eat it (if you want).
Boozy Blueberry Tea
This winter cocktail provides hints of a blueberry flavour and won't hesitate to warm you up even on the coldest of days.
Prep time: 5 min
- 1 part Amaretto liqueur
- 1 part orange liqueur (Grand Marnier)
- 4 parts orange Pekoe Tea (to taste)
1. Pop the ingredients into a cocktail shaker and shake well.
2. Pour into your Thermos and enjoy.