- 300g (2 cups) self-raising flour
- 120g (3/4 cup) wholemeal self-raising flour
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 50g chilled butter, chopped
- 70g (1/3 cup, firmly packed) brown sugar
- 3/4 cup mashed banana, plus 1 extra, thinly sliced
- 185ml (3/4 cup) reduced-fat milk
- Smooth ricotta, to serve
- 45g (1/4 cup) icing sugar
- 2 tsps maple syrup
If you're looking for the perfect afternoon tea snack then you can't go any further than these extremely delicious sweet treats.
Ideal to make when you have a spare afternoon, or if the bananas in the fruit bowl are looking like they've seen better days, this recipe will soon be your new go-to when you see how much your family loves to eat them!
Super easy to make, we can guarantee you won't be able to stop at just one of these perfect little sticky maple glazed squares of doughy goodness.
1. Preheat your oven to 240°C and grease a 20cm square cake pan before lining it with baking paper.
2. Whisk together the self-raising flour, wholemeal flour and cinnamon in a large bowl. Add the butter, using your fingers to rub the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles fine crumbs.
3. Stir in the sugar and make a well in the centre. Add the mashed banana and 160ml (2/3 cup) of milk. Use a flat-bladed knife in a cutting motion to mix until the dough comes together.
4. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently until the dough comes together. Press the dough together until it's 3cm thick in width and using a round pastry cutter dipped in flour, cut out 12 circles from the dough, gently pressing the excess dough together as needed.
5. Arrange the circles on the preprepared pan.
6. Brush the tops of the dough circles with the remaining milk and top each with a slice of the extra banana. Bake for 20 minutes or until the scones are lightly golden and sound hollow when tapped on top.
7. Meanwhile, to make the maple glaze, place both of the ingredients in a small bowl with 1 tsp of water. Stir until it's smooth.
8. Drizzle the maple glaze over the scones and serve them warm with ricotta and delicious cup of coffee.