- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 60g of butter
- 1kg of brown onions, halved & thinly sliced
- 1 tsp of brown sugar
- 2 tbsps of plain flour
- 750ml (3 cups) beef style liquid stock
- 125ml ( 1/2 cup) of white wine
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- Fresh thyme sprigs, extra, to serve
What's the perfect accompaniment to any hearty meal? A light soup of course and there's none better than the classic french onion soup!
Packed with flavour, this soup will warm you up in no time and if you're in Melbourne then you definitely need it (Spring where are you at?!)
Guaranteed to be a family favourite, this soup is full of onions (duh), cheese, and thyme for a bit of extra flavour. But don't just take our word for it, try it out for yourself!
1. Heat the oil and butter in a large saucepan over medium heat before adding the onion and cook, stirring, for 10 minutes or until the onion softens. Then add the sugar and cook the mixture, stirring occasionally, for 8-10 minutes or until the onion is golden.
2. Add the flour to the pan and cook it, stirring for about 1-2 minutes before removing from the heat. Gradually add the stock and the wine, stirring until everything's well combined.
3. Place the onion mixture over medium heat then add the thyme and cook, again stirring constantly for about 5 minutes or until the mixture thickens. Once that's happened, cove the mixture and let it simmer, stirring it occasionally for a further 5 minutes. Season with pepper.
4. Ladle the soup among serving bowls and top it with extra thyme to serve. Enjoy your heart warming and stomach filling soup!