- 500g Pork Mince and/or 500g Beef Mince
- 2 Carrots Finely Diced
- 4 Stalks of Celery Finely Diced
- 1 Large Red Capsicum Finely Diced
- 1 Large Brown Onion Finely Diced
- 3-5 Garlic Cloves Minced
- 800g Tin Diced Tomato
- Cheese (For Lasagna, Measure with Your Heart)
- 8 Rashers of Eye Bacon
- 2 Tbsp Sweet Paprika
- 2 Tbsp Dried Oregano
- 1 Tbsp Ground Coriander
- 1 Tbsp Dried Crushed Fennel Seeds
- 2 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Dried Chilli Flakes
Fresh Pasta (you can also use store bought fresh or dry):
- 3 Cups All Purpose Flour
- ¼ Teaspoon Salt
- 5 Medium Eggs
- 26g Unsalted Butter
- 2 Tablespoon All Purpose Flour
- Parmesan Cheese
- 1 Cup Milk
- White Pepper
Join our staff Member Milo on this heartwarming culinary journey as he shares the legacy of family recipes and the joy of cooking.
Whether you're a seasoned chef or an eager home cook, these time-honoured treasures will inspire you to recreate the magic in your own kitchen.
- Brown the mince and bacon in a 32cm Chef’s Pan.
- Remove meat and sauté the garlic and onion.
- Once soft add the carrot, capsicum and celery.
- Add the meat along with the spices, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. When incorporated add the tin of tomato along with 1 tin of water.
- Simmer with the lid on for 20 mins, stirring occasionally then tasting to add more spices as necessary.
- Once the taste has been acquired allow rest with the lid on to preserve the saucy constancy.
- Serve on any type of pasta you like or the homemade one below.
- Measure Flour into a large mixing bowl, whisk in the salt and make a well in the centre.
- Crack in the eggs and slowly start beating the eggs, gradually scooping in more and more of the flour and till it is mixed enough the knead.
- Roll out the dough onto the counter and drop the dry flour into the centre and start kneading the dough until smooth. Glad wrap and let rest for 1 hour at room temp. (Can rest while the sauce cooks)
- Once rested divide into 4 and roll out flat, then use a pasta machine to roll out into thin sheet, finishing around level 8.
- Cut the sheets to the length of the baking tray leaving the width as is to create overlap in the centre.
Bechamel: (Just for Lasagna):
- Add the butter to a preheated saucepan then the flour once the butter has melted and stir to create a soft dough (roux).
- Add milk in slowly and stir until thickened to your liking.
- Add salt, white pepper, nutmeg and a handful of parmesan cheese to taste and continuously stir till velvety smooth.
Assembling the Lasagna:
- Preheat oven to 180ºC
- Spoon a very light layer of sauce on the bottom of the baking tray. Then single sheets of the pasta along the bottom.
- Spoon and spread the bechamel sauce lightly over the sheet and spoon a fair amount of the sauce over the bechamel and top with more sheets. Repeat until sauce and sheets are almost finished.
- Then spoon the rest of the bechamel over the final layer of sauce and top with as much cheese as necessary.
- Place in the oven and cook until cheese has turned golden brown.
Article via Matchbox