- 450g of pork sausage, casings removed
- 1 small carrot, peeled & coarsely grated
- 1/2 brown onion, coarsely grated
- 1/3 cup of panko breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup of mozzarella
- 2 tbsps of Vegemite, at room temperature
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry just thawed
- The choice of your favourite sauce
There's nothing quite like mixing an iconic Aussie spread, Vegemite, with a true blue staple in sausage rolls, and that's exactly what you're going to do in this recipe!
Even if you're not Vegemite's biggest fan, this delicious, savoury snack is a must-do if you're looking to impress the little ones. Providing an alternative to the classic sausage roll, this crafty concoction is sure to become a hit and will have your family coming back for seconds. You can thank us later.
1. Preheat the oven to 200ºC and line 2 baking trays with baking paper. Place the sausages, carrot, onion, breadcrumbs and one of the eggs in a large bowl, and use your hands to mix all the ingredients together until they're combined.
2. Add the Vegemite and cheese to the sausage mixture and mix everything until it's combined again. Lightly whisk the remaining egg in a bowl.
3. The cut the pastry sheets in half and place a quarter of the mince mixture along the centre of each piece of pastry. Brush the long edge of the pastry with the whisked egg, before folding the pastry over the filling and pressing it to seal together. Cut each roll into 5 pieces.
4. Place the rolls, seam side down onto the prepared trays and brush the pastry with the egg. Then use a small, sharp knife to lightly score the tops of each roll a few times to allow steam to escape while they're cooking.
5. Bake them for 20 to 25 minutes or until they're cooked through and golden. Serve with your favourite dipping sauce!