- 2 sheets puff pastry, partially thawed
- 1 vanilla bean, split
- 1 litre soy milk
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 1/3 cups cornflour
- 100g Nuttelex spread or another similar dairy-free spread
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/3 cup icing sugar mixture
Honestly, who doesn't love eating a vanilla slice on a lazy afternoon? Or for morning tea. Or for dessert. Or at any time at all.
Good, we're glad you agree. You'll be able to eat these sweet, flaky treats for breakfast, lunch, and dinner as this recipe is simple and easy to complete.
Go get baking and just think of how satisfying it'll be when you can relax with a delicious cup of coffee and your tasty creation.
1. Preheat your oven to 200°C and line 2 large baking trays with baking paper. Place 1 pastry sheet on each tray and bake it for 15 mins or until golden, puffed and cooked through.
2. Allow it to cool for 5 mins, then gently flatten it using your hand (this is the part where, if you didn't wash your hands before you started cooking, you do so now). Let it cool completely.
3. Meanwhile, grease a 7cm-deep, square cake pan and line the base and sides with baking paper, extending the paper to 2cm above the edges of the pan.
5. Cook, stirring, for 10 minutes or until it's almost simmering (but make sure it doesn't boil). Set it aside for 10 minutes for the flavours to infuse. Strain the mixture and then discard the bean.
6. Place 1 sheet of pastry in the already prepared pan, trimming the sheet if necessary. Place the caster sugar and cornflour in a large, heavy-based saucepan and gradually add the milk mixture, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until it's smooth and combined.
7. Place over medium heat and cook, stirring constantly, for 8 - 10 minutes or until the yummy, gooey mixture bubbles and thickens. Then stir in the Nuttelex and turmeric.
8. Working quickly, remove the mixture from the heat and spoon it over the pastry. Top it with the second pastry sheet, trimming it if necessary. Set it aside to cool for 30 minutes before popping it in the fridge for 4 hours or until cold and firm.
9. Remove the vanilla slice block from the pan, place it on a board and dust it with icing sugar. Cut into squares and eat immediately (you've waited long enough).